Hints to Mount the Antenna:
- The GPS Antenna will work under the wood epoxy, plywood, or fiberglass no problems. You no need to put the Antenna outside at the top of your Boat unless your boat is made by Steel or Aluminum.
- In case if you need to fix the Antenna outside on the top of your Boat or Vehicle, this Antenna is "Water Resist" with Magnetic Base.
- This is a Marine GPS Antenna but no need to drill a big hole on your boat to mount the antenna.
What defines an "Active" antenna
What defines an "active" GPS antenna is the inclusion of a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA). The LNA is necessary to make up for the signal loss that is inherent in all antenna cables. Active antennas require power from the GPS receiver to power the LNA. This power is obtained through the receiver's external antenna jack (cable).
A good external active GPS Antenna capture more Satellites (max. 12) and give higher "3D position Accuracy".
The reasons to need an external GPS antenna:
- For use in a vehicle where the GPS receiver cannot or will not be placed near a window.
- For Marine GPS (chartplotter) use inside the Yacht.
- For use when hiking under heavy tree cover or in canyons.
- For use in urban canyons (tall buildings).
- For use in any place that the receiver doesn't have a good view of the sky.
- To minimize temporary loss of signal when in a vehicle in motion.
- To maintain the best possible accuracy by having a lock on the greatest number of satellites.
- Setup an AT&T Cisco 3G MicroCell System inside a Building.
Most GPS Devices will came with an internal Antenna with limited sensitivity. Also some the internal Antenna & the GPS Receiver Module will interfere each other and lower the Position Accuracy.
All Standalone GPS (Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, Tablet, ...) come with an inlet for the External Antenna. You must find out what connector type your GPS Receiver needs: MCX, MMCX, SMA, BNC, .... with Cable length 3, 5, 10 meters.
If you want to use the Laptop GPS in a more sheltered position and leave the Antenna at open space then you need a longer Antenna Cable. The RF Antenna Cable can be extending to 30 meters or longer no problem (just like a TV Antenna Cable). You should never use a USB extension cable longer then 2 meters or you will found data lost and system malfunction. (You can try to use an Antenna Extension Cable).
Measure the internal diameter of the Antenna Socket in your GPS Receiver to find out it needs a MCX or MMCX connector.
The Global Positioning System (GPS) consists of 24 satellites that orbit the Earth at a height of 20,000 km. Receivers at stations on Earth (such as WES2 in Westport, Massachusetts) use the signals from satellites to calculate the location of the station. Geoscientists have set up a network of targets all over the world in order to monitor the movement of lithospheric plates. Steel spikes pounded into the ground (preferably embedded in solid rock) make up the targets. A high-precision GPS receiver is then mounted on a tripod and positioned directly above the target. The targets are revisited over a period of months or years. The receiver measures the distance to four or more GPS satellites and then uses stored data on satellite locations to compute the location of the target. Changes in horizontal and vertical positions can be detected within several millimeters.
How to use a Laptop as a widescreen GPS Navigator.
- Center Frequency: 1575.42MHz
- Power Gain : 30dBi
- Impendence: 50 ohm
- DC Voltage: 3-5V (no need battery)
- Power Consumption: 10mA Max.
- Noise: 1.5 Max.
- Working Temperature: -40 to +185 degrees F
- Humidity: 95%~100% RH
- 100% Waterproof
- Size: 1.9 in. (L) x 1.5 in. (W) x 0.6 in. (H)
- Cable Length: 3~10 meters
- Mounting: Magnetic Base
Laptop/ Tablet GPS FAQ
- First time to setup a Laptop GPS System
- I got a Baud Rate & GPS Mode (NMEA) compatible problem
- How to use Garmin Map on Laptop with a non-Garmin GPS Receiver
- How to setup a Marine Chartplotter on my Laptop or Tablet
- What is the difference between a Real GPS & a Fake GPS
- How to minimize temporary loss of signal & improve the 3D Position Accuracy
- Android Tablet GPS with Offline Map, without Internet, without 3G, without WiFi
A good external GPS Antenna is the foundation of a good GPS Navigation system.
A good external GPS Antenna capture more Satellites (max. 12) and give higher "3D position Accuracy".
(If you want to use the Laptop/ Tablet GPS in a more sheltered position and leave the Antenna at open space then you need a longer Antenna Cable. The RF Antenna Cable can be extending to 30 meters or longer no problem (just like a TV Antenna Cable). You should never use a USB extension cable longer then 2 meters or you will found data lost and system malfunction.)
Get an Antenna Extender from following link: